South Africa’s top court on Thursday ordered ex-president Jacob Zuma to appear before a judicial panel probing alleged graft during his nine-year tenure, ruling he had no right to remain silent during the proceedings.
Zuma is accused of enabling runaway looting of state assets during his time in office, which ended when he was forced out in February 2018.
The 78-year-old former leader has snubbed summonses by the commission, which is chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.
He first said the commission was treating him as an “accused” rather than a witness and then contended bias and demanded that Zondo recuse himself.
He only gave testimony to the commission once, in July 2019, but staged a walkout days later. Since then, Zuma has not testified again, citing health concerns or his preparation for another corruption case related to a 1990s arms deal.
In a case filed by the commission, the Constitutional Court on Thursday ruled Zuma’s action amounted to “a direct breach of the law” and that he had to appear and testify before the panel on the dates set by it.
“In our system, no-one is above the law… Jacob Zuma does not have rights to remain silent in proceeding before the commission,” ruled Justice Chris Jafta.
Jafta said the commission was set up in 2018 during Zuma’s presidency and it was therefore “unacceptable that he is the one that frustrates its investigation.”
He added that Zuma was entitled to privileges against self-incrimination and had to demonstrate “how the answer to a specific question would breach the privilege.”
The findings of the anti-corruption commission will not lead directly to indictments but may be transmitted to the prosecution for possible prosecution.
The commission was originally scheduled to sit until March but must request for an extension due to the delay caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
It has already heard from dozens of ministers or ex-ministers, elected officials, businessmen or senior officials of whom some have indirectly implicated Zuma.
In the latest summons, Zuma had been called to testify from January 18-22 and again from February 15-19.
UN offers to help catch Mali jihadists behind amputations
UN peacekeepers in Mali on Thursday offered to help bring to justice jihadists behind the amputation of suspected thieves’ hands and feet, an apparent revival of a practice that had all but vanished.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, local sources in Tin-Hama in eastern Mali said armed men drummed up a crowd on May 2, a market day, and cut the right hands and left feet off three men they paraded as thieves.
The gunmen are believed to have belonged to Islamic State in the Greater Sahara (ISGS), one of the main jihadist groups active in the Sahel region, the UN’s Minusma force said in a statement.
“This kind of corporal punishment carried out by armed groups outside of any legal order is a serious infringement of human rights,” Minusma chief El-Ghassim Wade said.
UN forces stand ready to “support continuing enquiries by Malian authorities to fight impunity and ensure that the perpetrators of these acts are brought to justice,” he added.
Minusma also said it was deploying “significant security resources in the affected areas to step up protection of populations”.
The amputations “recall the horrors of the 2012 crisis” when jihadists and Touareg rebels took control of much of Mali’s north, the UN statement added.
At the time, various jihadist groups conducted public amputations, stonings, floggings and executions in major northern cities under their hardline interpretation of Islamic law.
Since 2012, jihadist insurgents have spread across Mali’s centre and into neighbouring Burkina Faso and Niger, with thousands killed and hundreds of thousands displaced in the violence.
UN, African and French forces have failed to put an end to the insurgency.
Unidentified men killed one soldier when they attacked a Malian anti-terrorist unit near Tominian in the country’s centre late Wednesday, while the troops killed three of the assailants, a security official said on condition of anonymity.
IPOB backs new directive by Cameroon’s Anglophone separatist leader
Nigerian Biafra separatist group— Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has backed the May 20 directive to “stay at home” from Cameroon’s Anglophone separatist leader, Dr Cho Ayaba.
Ayaba, the leader of Ambazonia, ordered a lockdown on May 20, 2021 in the English-speaking region of Cameroon, saying it was to mark the day that Cameroonian government forces began killing civilians in the region.
“The Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, under the global command of our Leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, hereby, directs all Biafrans living in Ambazobia to fully comply with the directive. Biafra and Ambazobia share a lot in common, and we are prepared to give them all the necessary support and solidarity in their struggle for independence,” said IPOB in a statement issued on Monday.
The Biafra group, in the statement signed by its spokesperson, Emma Powerful, further said, it “urge all Biafrans living in Ambazobia to close shop on May 20, and remain indoors in full compliance with the sit-at-home order by the leader of our sister country. We equally advise all Biafrans intending to travel to Ambazonia on that day to shelve the trip until after the exercise. Biafra and Ambazobia have enjoyed a robust relationship in our struggle for self determination.
“Ambazobia has adopted 20th of May every year in honour of the victims of the genocidal killings in Ambazonia by the terrorist Republic of Cameroun. This was the day the Paul Biya-led murderous regime in Camaroun launched military onslaught and occupation of Ambazonia.
“The genocidal killing was however, challenged four years ago through stiff resistance and great sacrifices by patriotic Ambazonians. Consequently, the people of Ambazonia have decided to henceforth, observe 20th of May as a day to commemorate the Resistance and defeat of their enemy, the Cameroonian forces.
“We equally note with delight, the directive by the leadership of the Ambazonian liberation movement to all Ambazonians, to observe May 31 Biafra Remembrance Day sit-at-home order in honour of our fallen heroes. This show of solidarity between both countries is amazing, and will be sustained until and even after our independence is realised. Both countries shall continue to explore other opportunities to promote peaceful cooperation and regional security and economic advancement.”
Eid: Buhari asks Nigerians to pray against insecurity
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday called on citizens to unite and pray against the insecurity ravaging the country.
The president made the appeal in a message to Muslims around the world as they marked Eid Al Fitr after the completion of a month of fasting.
According to Garba Shehu, the president’s senior special assistant on media and publicity, he said;“Unity and solidarity among all citizens, Muslims and Christians are imperative especially at a time when our country is faced with multiple challenges which are surmountable only when we come together as one.
“It is important that we remember how we share, through our faiths, common bonds that should serve to unite us and not allow ourselves to succumb to those who seek to divide us, using our two great religions, for their own selfish advantages.
“We should jointly pray against the tragic incidents of kidnapping and banditry and the desperate quest for political power expressed through blackmail against the existence of our country as a united entity.
“We must resist the temptation to retreat into our communities. I urge our political and religious leaders as well as traditional rulers to encourage our citizens to turn towards one another in love and compassion.”
Report2 months ago
British Armed Forces Minister visits Nigeria as military declare war on IPOB, ESN
Report4 months ago
Soldiers kill dozens of civilians in Orlu, eastern Nigeria
Biafra4 months ago
Nigeria still struggles to quell renewed calls for Biafra independence
Featured3 months ago
Meet Nnamdi Kanu, Africa’s most admired man
Report1 month ago
Nigeria: Nine Igbo Christians killed, bodies burned in Kibiya, Kano
Tidings2 months ago
‘Fellow citizens, the country we serve pays the terrorists who kill usʼ
Report2 months ago
Cameroon: Soldiers assemble and execute dozens civilians in Mbonge
Tidings2 months ago
Nigeria’s first lady Aisha Buhari goes into exile amid rumors of her husband’s death
Featured2 months ago
More Nigerian soldiers desert service to join local security group in Biafra region
Africa3 months ago
Military raid and airstrikes in Orlu cause panic in eastern Nigeria