Connect with us

Report

Woman files a US lawsuit against Boeing over Ethiopian plane crash

Published

on

A French woman whose husband died in the crash of a Boeing 737 MAX airliner in Ethiopia has filed a U.S. lawsuit against the plane maker, seeking at least 276 million U.S. dollars in damages.
The crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 in March killed all 157 passengers and crew aboard and followed the death in October of 189 people on a Lion Air 737 MAX which plunged into the ocean off Indonesia in similar circumstances.
Dozens of families have sued Boeing over the Lion Air crash, and several lawsuits have been lodged over the Ethiopian crash near the capital Addis Ababa, which led airlines around the world to ground the Boeing 737 MAX.
The lawsuit on behalf of Nadege Dubois-Seex, whose husband Jonathan Seex was a Swedish and Kenyan citizen and chief executive of the Tamarind Group of Companies, was filed in a U.S. District Court in Chicago, her lawyer said on Tuesday.
The complaint, which was filed on Monday, alleges Boeing failed to inform pilots properly about the risks posed by software meant to prevent the 737 MAX from stalling which repeatedly lowered the plane’s nose due to a faulty sensor data. U.S. attorney Nomaan Husain told a Paris news conference his client was seeking a minimum of 276 million U.S. dollars in damages.

“We have learned that Boeing relied on a single sensor that had been previously flagged in over 200 incident reports submitted to the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA),” Husain said in a statement.

Two Boeing spokeswomen in Europe did not reply to messages seeking comment, while a Boeing spokesman in the U.S. did not respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

“Our family has lost its shining knight and the world has lost a brilliant entrepreneur,” Dubois-Seex, a French citizen, said in a statement.

Boeing said last week it had completed an update to the 737 MAX’s MCAS software and was in the process of submitting a plan for related pilot training to the FAA.
It is unclear when the 737 MAX aircraft will receive FAA approval to return to service. Safety regulators in other countries have said they plan to independently assess Boeing’s fixes before giving their approval.

ALSO READ:   Biafran separatist tortured and murdered in Nigeria Police custody
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Report

Kenyan mob lynches ‘bloodthirsty vampire’ child killer

Published

on

By

His victims were drugged and drained of their blood and some of them strangled, police said (AFP/SIMON MAINA)

Kenyan villagers on Friday lynched a man believed to be a “bloodthirsty vampire” child murderer, days after the self-confessed serial killer escaped from police custody, officials said.

Masten Milimo Wanjala was arrested on July 14 over the disappearance of two children, but in a chilling confession, admitted to killing at least 10 others over a five-year period, “sometimes through sucking blood from their veins before executing them”, the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) said at the time.

The 20-year-old was due for a court appearance Wednesday in Nairobi over the cold-blooded murders which targeted 12- and 13-year-old children, when officers noticed during the morning roll call that he had disappeared.

But a mob caught up with him Friday after he was identified by schoolgoing children at his rural home in Bungoma, more than 400 kilometres (250 miles) from the police station he had escaped from.

ALSO READ:   Burkina ex-president to snub trial on Sankara assassination

“He comes from this area and so the children saw him and knew it was him and that is when information spread around and locals started pursuing him,” area administrator Bonface Ndiema said.

“In the end he ran into a neighbour’s house but he was flushed out and lynched.”

Police had in July described Wanjala’s arrest as a major breakthrough in an investigation into a spate of disturbing child disappearances in the East African country.

His victims were drugged and drained of their blood and some of them strangled, police said.

– ‘Submerged in sewers’ –

According to police, Wanjala’s first victim was a 12-year-old girl he kidnapped five years ago in Machakos county east of Nairobi.

ALSO READ:   Biafran separatist tortured and murdered in Nigeria Police custody

The murder of his next victim in western Kenya sparked protests, with locals torching the house of the person they suspected killed the boy.

“Unbeknownst to some of the worried families, their children were long executed by the beast and their remains dumped in thickets. Others were submerged in sewer lines in the city and left to rot away,” the DCI said in July.

The bodies of several children feared to have died at Wanjala’s hands have yet to be found.

Three officers who were on duty at the Nairobi police station where he was held were arrested this week on allegations that they either aided or “neglected to prevent” his escape.

ALSO READ:   Separatist fighters attack military camp in Cameroon, kill 'three soldiers'

A court ordered their release on bail on Friday as a probe into the escape gets under way.

Police spokesman Bruno Shiosho told AFP they have launched a forensic investigation into the identity of the lynched man.

“The locals have said it is him… For now we can confirm that a man locals say is Masten Wanjala who was on the run has been lynched in Bungoma,” he said.

Continue Reading

Report

Security guards held hostage as bandits attack Govt building in Nigeria

Published

on

Police officers walk at the JSS Jangebe school, a day after over 300 school girls were abducted by bandits, in Zamfara, Nigeria February 27, 2021. REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde/File Photo

Two security officers were held hostage on Monday when gunmen attacked the Local Government Service Commission in Nasarawa state, north-central Nigeria.

The two security guards, confirmed to be members of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), were tied with a rope by the bandits who stole valuables from the building.

Rammatu Julde, the permanent secretary of the Local Government Services Commission, who disclosed the incident, said no life was lost in the attack.

Julde said the State Civil Service Commission, which is beside the Local Government Service Commission, had also been overrun.

Two AK-47 rifles belonging to the security officers were also seized by the bandits who left the security personnel they were holding hostage, said Jerry Victor, public relations officer of the NSCDC, who confirmed the incident.

ALSO READ:   Nigeria: Gunmen kill policeman, kidnap others in Ogun
Continue Reading

Report

How soldiers slaughtered civilians, raze homes in eastern Nigeria

Published

on

Videos circulating on social media show soldiers shouting "kill anyone you see" as they attack civilians and burn houses in the community. [File] Image used to illustrate the report

Three civilians were killed in a raid by government forces on the community of Izombe in Imo State, southeastern Nigeria.

At least 70 houses were set on fire in the attack that took place last weekend in the restive region where separatist movement continues.

Videos circulating on social media show soldiers shouting “kill anyone you see” as they attack civilians and burn houses in the community.

A security source who spoke to Gazette Africa said the problem started after youths burned a military van over a disagreement on oil bunkering.

“They also killed a soldier during the incident,” said the security source.

ALSO READ:   Separatist fighters attack military camp in Cameroon, kill 'three soldiers'

Fleeing residents, who confirmed the incident to Gazette Africa, said violence erupted when soldiers killed one civilian and injured others.

“When the soldiers killed the young man, people got angry and burned their vehicle,” said a resident Adanne Thompson, who added that the soldiers later returned with “17 military vehicles, including armored tanks” and razed houses.

“They killed three people, other villagers are still missing,” said Francis Uchenna, who disclosed that the palace of the traditional leader of the community was also set on fire.

Violent attacks and military assaults have left many civilians dead in the eastern region of the country where government forces have declared war on secessionists who are calling for a referendum on an independent state known as Biafra.

ALSO READ:   Egypt: Two People Sentenced to death Over An attack On Church
Continue Reading

MOST POPULAR

© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.