Connect with us

Politics

Trump to kickoff his re-election campaign mid-June

Published

on

President Donald Trump, facing a potentially difficult path to winning a second term in November 2020, plans an official rollout to his re-election campaign in mid-June, the four-year anniversary of his first run, sources said on Monday.
Trump is likely to kick off his campaign with a rally in Florida, possibly on June 15, followed in the days afterward with stops in battleground states, said the sources, who are close to the White House and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The date will be close to the four-year anniversary of when Trump rode the escalator at Trump Tower down to a crowd of supporters and announced his candidacy on June 16, 2015.
The Trump campaign declined to comment. The president has already been raising money for his re-election and holding political rallies for many months.
Trump considers Florida to be something of a second home, since he owns the Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach and stays there regularly.
He won Florida in 2016. But as is the case for Trump in many battleground states, his victory is not assured there in 2020 and he will likely face a fight to win it again.
Since Trump took over as president in early 2017, the U.S. economy has soared with low unemployment and strong growth. Typically presidents with an economy this vibrant would be strong bets for re-election.
But Trump’s polarizing presidency has given hope to a host of Democratic contenders that he can be denied a second term.
Democratic front-runner Joe Biden, who was vice president to President Barack Obama, has sounded a unifying theme to try to rally Americans behind his candidacy. In second place in the Democratic polls is democratic socialist Bernie Sanders.
Trump has dubbed Biden “Sleepy Joe” to try to undermine him, in much the same way as he gave Republican contender Jeb Bush the nickname, “low-energy Jeb” in 2016. Trump tweeted on Monday that China, locked in difficult trade talks with Trump, would like Biden as president.
“Looks like Bernie Sanders is history. Sleepy Joe Biden is pulling ahead and think about it, I’m only here because of Sleepy Joe and the man who took him off the 1% trash heap, President O! China wants Sleepy Joe BADLY!” he said.
Trump is expected to stress the strong economy in his re-election effort, but he told the Fox News Channel’s “The Next Revolution with Steve Hilton” last week that the economy alone will bore his supporters at his rallies.
“If I stood there and talked about the economy for that long a period – let’s say, the economy’s great, unemployment’s low, we’re doing wonderful…they’d start falling asleep,” he said.
Reporting By — Steve Holland | REUTERS

ALSO READ:   Niger opposition leader claims election win despite official results
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Benin’s opposition goes into hiding

Published

on

By

Critics say the West African country has veered into authoritarian rule under President Patrice Talon, a former cotton magnate first elected in 2016.

Silence has fallen around the political opposition in Benin, once a beacon of multi-party democracy, where arrests have proliferated since presidential elections less than four months ago.

“It’s better not to say anything, not to see anything, and most of all, to support the president,” said an opposition leader who asked to remain anonymous.

“It’s simple — we are scared of getting arrested like the others.”

Critics say the West African country has veered into authoritarian rule under President Patrice Talon, a former cotton magnate first elected in 2016.

After that victory, major opposition figures were targeted for investigation by a special court and went into exile.

Since the last elections on April 11, which Talon won with 86 percent of votes, “the situation has worsened and the fear of speaking out, of ending up in a jail, has never been stronger,” said Benin-based analyst Expedit Ologou.

Press contact with opposition leaders and civil society figures, in what was once a vibrant political forum, has shrivelled.

“I would rather not speak to the press”, “can I speak off the record?”, “let’s wait and see” were frequent responses to AFP for interview requests this month.

ALSO READ:   Brexit: MPs vote Against Giving Public Fresh Referendum

– Arrests –

The trigger for this self-imposed blackout has been the arrest of two key opposition leaders, Joel Aivo and Reckya Madougou, who were disqualified from running in this year’s election.

Aivo was arrested just days after the vote, and stands accused of undermining state security.

A few weeks before the vote, Madougou was arrested, for plotting terrorist acts to undermine the ballot.

Both say the charges are politically motivated.

“If the regime is capable of imprisoning personalities as respected and important, then no-one is safe,” said the leader of a France-based organisation supporting Benin’s opposition.

“Aivo and Madougou are the most emblematic cases but there are many more young opposition members who have ended up in jail before and after the election.”

Critics of the government say at least one hundred opposition members are currently detained.

Authorities in Benin did not respond to AFP’s request for comment on their claim.

“After these arrests, many of us have fled to neighbouring countries,” said a source close to Aivo, who in mid-April moved to Togo.

There, and in Nigeria, “about a hundred young people have arrived” recently, many with little resources but too scared to go back home, he said.

ALSO READ:   Catalan President seeks unity among Independence supporters

One is 33-year-old Bill Souleymane Kingninohou, a local representative of the Democrats opposition party.

He left Cotonou on April 7 and headed to Togo, where he has since asked for asylum.

“A police officer threatened me by phone, and people close to me were arrested, so I left,” he said, adding that his family stayed behind.

“It’s better than ending up in prison,” he added.

Many of those who fled are from the centre of the country, said the source close to Aivo, where violence erupted during the campaign.

– Tensions –

In the lead-up to the vote, two people were killed when troops opened fire to clear opposition protesters blockading a major highway.

Government officials say security forces responded after they came under fire.

For his second term in office, hopes were that Talon would attempt to ease tensions. But three months after the vote, “there is no sign of any political dialogue,” said Ologou.

Presidential spokesman Wilfried Houngbedji told AFP that the country had a “chief opposition leader in accordance with the law.”

ALSO READ:   DR Congo prime minister resigns after censure

“Nobody is stopping anyone from speaking out, from criticising. You simply have to take responsibility for your words,” he said.

The opposition gained no seats in the National Assembly in the 2019 legislative elections.

In such a scenario, under a law passed that year, the title of chief opposition leader goes to the opposition candidate who garnered most signatures of support from elected local officials.

That title thus fell to Paul Hounkpe, leader of the Cowry Forces for an Emerging Benin (FCBE) — a party criticised by its founder ex-president Thomas Boni Yayi, a Talon rival, as having become too close to the government.

“After the press, the unions, it’s now political parties which are under pressure,” said journalist Vincent Foly, director of a pro-opposition paper, La Nouvelle Tribune, banned three years ago.

Even parties seen as radical, such as the Democrats and the Social Liberal Union, are in a “state of lethargy,” he said.

“There are no more meetings, protests or even strong statements from their leaders,” said Foly.

“And the regime has no interest in sitting down with the opposition if they don’t have to.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Nigeria: National Assembly legislators are saboteurs — Catholic bishops

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari, Senate President Ahmad Lawan and Speaker of House of Reps, Femi Gbajabiamila

The National Assembly legislators are saboteurs, say Catholic bishops in Nigeria, accusing them of having “perfected the art of sabotaging” Nigerians’ progress.

Under the Ibadan Ecclesiastical Province, the Catholic clerics advised the federal legislators to prioritise Nigerians’ interests above party and selfish interests.

“With the National Assembly at various occasions prioritising party and privileges over people’s rights and interest, relief and progress continue to elude Nigerians,” said the bishops. “Simply put, those who claim to represent the people seem to have perfected the art of sabotaging the progress of their (sic) same people.”

They urged Nigerians to challenge their representatives “by all legitimate means,” asserting that they must not accept the parliament’s “non-representative decisions.”

ALSO READ:   'Nigeria is safe for world leaders to attend Buhari's Inauguration' — Lai

“Indeed, the time may have come for Nigerians to no longer simply roll over and accept non-representative decisions of the assembly, but to challenge them by all legitimate means,” stated the bishops.

The bishops from Ibadan Archdiocese, Ilorin, Ondo, Oyo, Ekiti, and Osogbo Dioceses, said this in a communique after their meeting at the Domus Pacis Pastoral Institute, Igoba, Akure, on Wednesday evening.

The clerics condemned the passage of the amended Electoral Act and the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) and urged Nigerians to challenge the Senate and the House of Representatives’ decisions.

They appealed to Nigerians not to lose hope in the possibility of a peaceful, united, and prosperous country, urging the media and civil society groups to sustain the momentum on increased public awareness and education on the importance of political participation at all levels of governance.

ALSO READ:   Theresa May to resign as British PM on June 7

“We say stand firm and never lose hope for God cannot be defeated. We call on Nigerians to continue to pray and work for a better nation, for we have no other country than this.

“If we do not give up doing good and believing in God’s promise, we shall see better days…. We also urge our people to register and obtain their voters’ cards; only this grants them the power to exercise their rights to determine who governs them from time to time.

“Our country will greatly benefit from this,” added the Catholic bishops.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ethiopia prepares to vote as famine stalks Tigray

Published

on

By

Ethiopian army soldiers watch a truck full of militia men at Mai Aini Refugee camp, housing Eritrean refugees in Ethiopia (AFP via Getty Images)

Ethiopia is preparing to hold crucial and twice-delayed elections across the country on June 21, despite growing concern over the credibility of the vote as well as a famine in war-torn Tigray.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, appointed in 2018 after years of anti-government unrest, craves a popular mandate through competitive elections to cement a promised democratic rebirth in Africa’s second-most populous nation.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner is pushing ahead with the election despite ongoing fighting and a humanitarian crisis in Tigray, where voting will not proceed on Monday, along with some other restive parts of the country.

Opposition parties in other pivotal regions are boycotting the election, the sixth since the end of military rule in Ethiopia 30 years ago.

All previous ballots fell short of international standards for fairness, and Abiy — who won early praise for embarking on democratic and economic reforms — insists that June 21 will mark a departure from the authoritarian past.

“A week from today, Ethiopians we will cast our vote in the sixth national elections, which will be the nation’s first attempt at free and fair elections,” Abiy posted on Twitter on Monday.

ALSO READ:   Theresa May to resign as British PM on June 7

“Go out and vote next Monday… let’s make it a positively historic day together!”

– Tigray –

But the war in Tigray — not Abiy’s much-vaunted vote — has been the focus of global concern, with appeals from the pope and world leaders at the G7 for the bloodshed to end.

UN agencies say 350,000 people in the northern region are barely surviving in famine conditions, including tens of thousands of malnourished children. Ethiopia disputes the figures and says aid groups have been granted unfettered access to the region.

Abiy’s reputation as a reformist and peacemaker has been seriously dented since he sent the army into Tigray in November to oust the ruling TPLF party there.

Eritrean soldiers and allied militias joined the fight, which Abiy promised would be short but has dragged on for seven months. The conflict has been characterised by terrible atrocities and alleged ethnic cleansing.

There will be no vote in the mountainous region of six million on June 21, with no future date set.

ALSO READ:   'Nigeria is safe for world leaders to attend Buhari's Inauguration' — Lai

But Tigray — with 38 of the 547 seats in Ethiopia’s national parliament — is just one place where no ballots will be cast Monday.

Ethnic violence and logistical setbacks forced the National Election Board of Ethiopia to postpone voting in numerous locations until September 6. The board has not specified the exact number of constituencies affected, but there are dozens in addition to Tigray.

– ‘Obstacles’ –

The United States, historically an ally of Ethiopia but an increasingly vocal critic as the Tigray conflict drags on, has expressed alarm at the conditions under which the vote will occur.

The detention of prominent opposition leaders and ethnic conflict roiling swathes of the country pose “obstacles to a free and fair electoral process and whether Ethiopians would perceive them as credible,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said last week.

“The exclusion of large segments of the electorate from this contest due to security issues and internal displacement is particularly troubling,” he added.

The European Union said in May it would not send observers to the polls, citing a failure to reach an agreement with the government on basic issues like communications and the observers’ independence.

ALSO READ:   Chad: Ruling party backs President Déby seeking sixth term in office

Staging nationwide elections is a logistical feat at the best of times in the enormous nation of 110 million where poor infrastructure barely reaches into remoter parts of savannah, mountain and desert terrain.

The coronavirus pandemic forced the first postponement in August 2020, then the vote was pushed back to June 21 because of technical problems, including a massive shortage of election officials and slow voter registration.

In early June, with the vote just weeks away, the board said ballot paper irregularities and fake polling stations had hindered preparations, but that about 37 million voters had registered.

Abiy’s Prosperity Party is fielding the most candidates for national parliamentary races and is the firm favourite to win, with a broad reach unmatched by other political parties.

The campaign has been muted in the capital Addis Ababa, while south of the capital in Hawassa, an AFP journalist this week noted a near-total absence of opposition posters.

Continue Reading

MOST POPULAR

© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.