Mali’s government has created a body to open talks with Islamist militants whose insurgency has made vast portions of the country ungovernable, the interim prime minister said on Friday, in the face of objections by France.
A year ago ousted former president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita said his government was prepared to negotiate with al Qaeda-linked militants. National talks in the aftermath of the August coup that overthrew Keita endorsed that policy.
“Dialogue is not an exclusive solution, but rather an additional means of bringing back into the bosom of the Republic those who left it, often for existential reasons far removed from any fanaticism,” said interim Prime Minister Moctar Ouane.
The statement did not provide details of the makeup of a negotiating body.
Former colonial power France, which has 5,000 troops in Mali, has previously signalled opposition to negotiating with Islamist groups that did not sign a 2015 peace deal it considers a framework for restoring peace to northern Mali.
France is searching for an exit strategy after getting bogged down in a counter-insurgency operation in the Sahel which has cost billions and seen 55 French soldiers killed.
The violence is persisting with signs it is spreading to coastal West Africa.
Chad will deploy some 1,000 troops to the tri-border region of Niger, Burkina Faso and Mali to reinforce national armies, sources said last week.
* reporting by — Reuters Africa
Kenyan mob lynches ‘bloodthirsty vampire’ child killer
Kenyan villagers on Friday lynched a man believed to be a “bloodthirsty vampire” child murderer, days after the self-confessed serial killer escaped from police custody, officials said.
Masten Milimo Wanjala was arrested on July 14 over the disappearance of two children, but in a chilling confession, admitted to killing at least 10 others over a five-year period, “sometimes through sucking blood from their veins before executing them”, the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) said at the time.
The 20-year-old was due for a court appearance Wednesday in Nairobi over the cold-blooded murders which targeted 12- and 13-year-old children, when officers noticed during the morning roll call that he had disappeared.
But a mob caught up with him Friday after he was identified by schoolgoing children at his rural home in Bungoma, more than 400 kilometres (250 miles) from the police station he had escaped from.
“He comes from this area and so the children saw him and knew it was him and that is when information spread around and locals started pursuing him,” area administrator Bonface Ndiema said.
“In the end he ran into a neighbour’s house but he was flushed out and lynched.”
Police had in July described Wanjala’s arrest as a major breakthrough in an investigation into a spate of disturbing child disappearances in the East African country.
His victims were drugged and drained of their blood and some of them strangled, police said.
– ‘Submerged in sewers’ –
According to police, Wanjala’s first victim was a 12-year-old girl he kidnapped five years ago in Machakos county east of Nairobi.
The murder of his next victim in western Kenya sparked protests, with locals torching the house of the person they suspected killed the boy.
“Unbeknownst to some of the worried families, their children were long executed by the beast and their remains dumped in thickets. Others were submerged in sewer lines in the city and left to rot away,” the DCI said in July.
The bodies of several children feared to have died at Wanjala’s hands have yet to be found.
Three officers who were on duty at the Nairobi police station where he was held were arrested this week on allegations that they either aided or “neglected to prevent” his escape.
A court ordered their release on bail on Friday as a probe into the escape gets under way.
Police spokesman Bruno Shiosho told AFP they have launched a forensic investigation into the identity of the lynched man.
“The locals have said it is him… For now we can confirm that a man locals say is Masten Wanjala who was on the run has been lynched in Bungoma,” he said.
Security guards held hostage as bandits attack Govt building in Nigeria
Two security officers were held hostage on Monday when gunmen attacked the Local Government Service Commission in Nasarawa state, north-central Nigeria.
The two security guards, confirmed to be members of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), were tied with a rope by the bandits who stole valuables from the building.
Rammatu Julde, the permanent secretary of the Local Government Services Commission, who disclosed the incident, said no life was lost in the attack.
Julde said the State Civil Service Commission, which is beside the Local Government Service Commission, had also been overrun.
Two AK-47 rifles belonging to the security officers were also seized by the bandits who left the security personnel they were holding hostage, said Jerry Victor, public relations officer of the NSCDC, who confirmed the incident.
How soldiers slaughtered civilians, raze homes in eastern Nigeria
Three civilians were killed in a raid by government forces on the community of Izombe in Imo State, southeastern Nigeria.
At least 70 houses were set on fire in the attack that took place last weekend in the restive region where separatist movement continues.
Videos circulating on social media show soldiers shouting “kill anyone you see” as they attack civilians and burn houses in the community.
A security source who spoke to Gazette Africa said the problem started after youths burned a military van over a disagreement on oil bunkering.
“They also killed a soldier during the incident,” said the security source.
Fleeing residents, who confirmed the incident to Gazette Africa, said violence erupted when soldiers killed one civilian and injured others.
“When the soldiers killed the young man, people got angry and burned their vehicle,” said a resident Adanne Thompson, who added that the soldiers later returned with “17 military vehicles, including armored tanks” and razed houses.
“They killed three people, other villagers are still missing,” said Francis Uchenna, who disclosed that the palace of the traditional leader of the community was also set on fire.
Violent attacks and military assaults have left many civilians dead in the eastern region of the country where government forces have declared war on secessionists who are calling for a referendum on an independent state known as Biafra.
Report9 months ago
Soldiers kill dozens of civilians in Orlu, eastern Nigeria
Report7 months ago
British Armed Forces Minister visits Nigeria as military declare war on IPOB, ESN
Report6 months ago
Nigeria: Nine Igbo Christians killed, bodies burned in Kibiya, Kano
Tidings7 months ago
‘Fellow citizens, the country we serve pays the terrorists who kill usʼ
Featured8 months ago
Meet Nnamdi Kanu, Africa’s most admired man
Biafra9 months ago
Nigeria still struggles to quell renewed calls for Biafra independence
Report5 months ago
43 civilians ‘secretly abducted’ by soldiers in eastern Nigeria in one week
World News4 months ago
Buhari the only Nigerian President who never grant live interviews, media chat — Twitter
World News4 months ago
Israelis affirm support for ‘persecuted’ people of Biafra
Breaking News4 months ago
Central African Republic Govt Resigns