Connect with us

Report

Kanu’s lawyer, Ejiofor, missing after soldiers raid his home in eastern Nigeria

Published

on

Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu is seen at the Federal high court Abuja, Nigeria January 20, 2016. He was released on bail over a year after this picture was taken due to health concerns. Afolabi Sotunde/Reuters

AWKA — Ifeanyi Ejiofor, lawyer for Nnamdi Kanu, human rights activist and leader of Indigenous People of Biafra, is missing, a family source told Gazette Africa on Sunday.

The lawyer went missing after a combined team of police and Nigerian army soldiers raided his home in Oraifite, in the local government area of ​​Ekwusigo, Anambra state, on Saturday night.

During the raid, Ejimakor, who shouted on Twitter, said: “Joint team of the police and Army are presently in my house shooting sporadically on sight, to arrest me. As a lawyer i hve committed no offence known to law. My life is under serious threat . People are being killed and i don’t know what will happen to me next.”

“Pray for me and my entire household.
You may not hear from me again till further notice,” he wrote.

ALSO READ:   Fear and frustration in Nigeria as millions at risk of phone suspension

“He’s now missing,” said a family source who said nobody knew his whereabouts and his well-being as they all rushed to safety during the military raid.

Meanwhile, Nnamdi Kanu, who confirmed the incident, said Ejiofor returned home for a burial, and was abducted by Nigerian forces.

“Those who invaded the house of Barrister Ifeanyi Ejiofor and took him away should make sure nothing happens to him. Ejiofor just came for burial and you cowards went after him for the second time,” he said.

IPOB, in a statement , said the lawyer’s home was raided around 2:30 a.m., adding that government forces were threatening and tracking down the lawyer to eliminate him for legally representing the separatist group.

ALSO READ:   UK, US delegates and others arrive in Nigeria to witness Kanu's trial

“This is 2.30 am time, a combined team of Police and Army currently surrounded Barrister Ifeanyi Ejiofor’s country home, is it an offence for someone to defend IPOB as its lawyer. Barrister Ejiofor is doing his job as a lawyer, where in the world is a legal practitioner would be harassing because he represents an organization as their lawyer.

“The Nigerian Army invaded and burnt his house on 2nd December 2019 and killed more than 10 people. Since then they are still trailing and harassing him. The whole world must hear this because the Nigerian government must get what they are looking for from IPOB.

“Barrister Ejiofor’s house is been invaded by Fulani Jihadist soldiers now and they want to eliminate him, the world must hear the evil this country and her security agencies are committing. This is becoming their new normal, nobody should blame IPOB, for the consequences of what will follow the possible be a limitation of our lawyer, Ejiofor by Nigerian armed forces. A word is enough for the wise. South-East has not come out of the consequences of Ikonso’s murder by Nigeria security agents.

ALSO READ:   Nigerian jihadists attack Kaduna village, burn Catholic church

“We call on South-East Governors to call the Nigerian armed forces operating in their States to order now because they will be the ones to bear the consequences of the ongoing killings, intimidation and harassment of South-East youths and professionals discharging their legitimate duties,” the separatist group said.

Report

Markets, roads closed in southeast Nigeria in solidarity with Kanu

Published

on

Cemetery market in Aba, Abia State

Residents of south-eastern Nigeria have closed markets and some entry points into cities in solidarity with Biafran pro-independence leader, Nnamdi Kanu, who is now before the Federal High Court in Abuja for trial.

Some international markets in Abia, Onitsha, Nnewi and others, including entry points to some cities, were closed in the early hours of Monday July 26, 2021.

The separatist leader who had fled to Israel in 2017 when his home was raided by soldiers who killed many civilians in an attempt to assassinate him, faces charges of treason and other unfounded crimes, for calling for a referendum on the independent state of Biafra in the east of the country.

Nnamdi Kanu

He was seized in Kenya and illegally repatriated to the Nigeria.

ALSO READ:   Nigeria: Kanu weeps over murder of non-state security commander
Continue Reading

Report

US citizens arrested in Nigeria for taking photos during Kanu’s trial

Published

on

Nigeria's Department of State Services personnel

ABUJA — Two foreigners suspected of being American journalists were arrested Monday July 26 in Nigeria for having taken photos on the eve of the trial of Biafran pro- independence leader Nnamdi Kanu.

According to the report, the two men were arrested by the country’s secret service — Department of State Services at a hotel, Treasure Suites, opposite the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court.

The Peoples Gazette reports that a phone belonging to another man in the hotel was seized by the DSS, who accuses him of following the trial of the separatist leader from the hotel.

ALSO READ:   Sudan arrests scores of former ruling party members before protests

“They even entered the hotel and got the manager to show them their CCTV footage to be able to locate one of the men and seized his phone,” a police officer told Peoples Gazette at the scene.

The Nigerian had announced banned on international and other media from covering the trial of Mr. Kanu in court.

A statement signed by Chief Information Officer, Catherine Oby Christopher on Monday noted that the DSS has only accredited 10 Nigerian media organizations, namely: ThisDay, Premium Times, The Nation, Daily Independent, The Herald, National Television Authority , Continental Television, African Independent Television, Daily Post and Channels Television.

ALSO READ:   43 civilians 'secretly abducted' by soldiers in eastern Nigeria in one week

No reason was given by authorities who refused to comment on the sudden violation of press freedom and citizens’ rights to monitor a trial.

Nnamdi Kanu, human rights activist is currently being held in the Nigeria’s Department of State Services detention center in Abuja after being seized in Kenya and illegally repatriated to the country.

The separatist leader who had fled to Israel in 2017 when his home was raided by soldiers who killed many civilians in an attempt to assassinate him, faces charges of treason and other unfounded crimes, for calling for a referendum on the independent state of Biafra in the east of the country.

ALSO READ:   Nigeria: 7,253 People Killed In One Year
Continue Reading

Report

Man accused of trying to kill Mali president dies in custody

Published

on

By

Goita was whisked away by his security detail, and later appeared on state TV to say he was doing "very well", downplaying the significance of the assault.

A man accused of trying to kill Mali’s military strongman Assimi Goita, the figure behind two coups in less than a year, has died in custody, the government said on Sunday.

The suspect, whose identity has not been revealed, had been taken into custody following the assassination attempt at Bamako’s Grand Mosque on Tuesday.

“During investigations… his health deteriorated” and he was then hospitalised, but “unfortunately, he has died,” the government said in a statement.

It added that an autopsy had been immediately ordered to determine the cause of death.

A man armed with a knife lunged at Goita after prayers for Eid al-Adha on Tuesday, according to an AFP reporter at the scene.

Goita was whisked away by his security detail, and later appeared on state TV to say he was doing “very well”, downplaying the significance of the assault.

ALSO READ:   UK, US delegates and others arrive in Nigeria to witness Kanu's trial

“That’s part of being a leader, there are always malcontents,” he said.

“There are people who at any time may want to try things to cause instability.”

His attacker, a young-looking man dressed in jeans and a white shirt, was apprehended at the scene and taken away by the Malian intelligence services.

The suspect was never presented to judicial authorities, a source requesting anonymity told AFP on Sunday.

His identity was not revealed, but commissioner Sadio Tomoda said late Tuesday that he was a teacher, without elaborating.

Prosecutors had opened an inquiry into the incident.

On Sunday, the government said the suspect’s death was not an obstacle to continuing the investigation, “especially since preliminary evidence and intelligence gathered indicate that he was not an isolated element”.

ALSO READ:   Fear and frustration in Nigeria as millions at risk of phone suspension

– Political instability –

The attack capped months of political turmoil in a country that has rarely enjoyed stability since gaining independence from France in 1960.

Goita, a special forces colonel in his late thirties, headed a putsch last August that ousted elected president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita after weeks of protests over graft and a bloody jihadist insurgency.

The junta, in the face of international condemnation, handed power to a civilian-led transitional government that promised to restore civilian rule in February 2022.

But in late May, Goita, who was vice president in the transitional government, ousted president Bah Ndaw and premier Moctar Ouane, saying they had sought to “sabotage” the handover.

In June, with Goita as interim president, a new government was unveiled, with military figures in key roles.

As the African Union and the West African regional bloc ECOWAS piled on pressure, Goita vowed the government would uphold all commitments and pledged to stage “credible, fair and transparent elections”.

ALSO READ:   Nigeria: Buhari not willing to end killings by Fulani herders, says Obasanjo

Mali’s neighbours and allies have been viewing the crisis with disquiet, fearing the impact on efforts to stem a jihadist insurgency that is unfurling across the Sahel region.

The bloody campaign erupted in the north of Mali in 2012, and has since spread to Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger. Thousands of soldiers and civilians have been killed and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.

France, the mainstay of the anti-jihadist operation, has been especially critical of the military takeover in Mali.

It suspended military cooperation after the second coup and then announced a major drawdown of its 5,100-man Barkhane mission.

Continue Reading

MOST POPULAR

© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.