Connect with us

World News

Israel opens first embassy in Abu Dhabi

Published

on

JERUSALEM — Israel on Sunday officially opened its temporary embassy in Abu Dhabi, a result of the groundbreaking peace agreement signed last year between The Jewish State and the Emirates.

“The Israeli embassy in the United Arab Emirates will promote the full range of relations between the two countries in all areas, and expand ties with the Emirati government, economic bodies and the private sector, academic institutions, the media, and more,” Israel’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Ambassador Eitan Na’eh, Israel’s former ambassador to Turkey, will lead the mission to Abu Dhabi until a permanent embassy and ambassador are found. Israel also intends to open a liaison office in Dubai as well.

ALSO READ:   Biafra: Kanu's lawyer discloses next step after his arrest

Israeli Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi applauded the warm ties between his country and the UAE.

“I wish Eitan Na’eh and the embassy staff success in their first steps, which they are taking in the name of the State of Israel in Abu Dhabi,” said Ashkenazi. “The Foreign Ministry continues to lead the implementation of the peace and normalization agreements in the Gulf and to advance Israel’s international status. The opening of the mission will enable the expansion of bilateral ties between Israel and the UAE, and the full and quick implementation of the potential inherent in our relations.”

The UAE Cabinet on Sunday also approved the decision to open an Emirati embassy in Tel Aviv.

ALSO READ:   Biafra: Nigerian forces still target, kill civilians in eastern region

“This is an important decision that will facilitate the promotion of the warm ties between our countries and peoples. We look forward to receiving representatives of the UAE soon,” Ashkenazi said.

Last year, Israel signed the historic normalization agreements with the UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, and Morocco.

The Foreign Ministry said it is working to open an embassy in Morocco’s capital, and the Israeli embassy in Bahrain has already been operating for weeks.

World News

Health fears as killer DR Congo volcano spouts ash

Published

on

By

Residents are seen standing next to destroyed structures near smouldering ashes early morning in Goma in the East of the Democratic Republic of Congo [Moses Sawasawa / AFP]

The DR Congo’s Nyirangongo volcano has released large amounts of ash some two months after its eruption, sparking concerns for local residents’ health, experts said on Sunday.

The volcano in the far east of the vast central African country first erupted on May 22, claiming 32 lives and destroying hundreds of homes.

“The ash is the result of the collapse of part of the Nyirangongo’s central crater,” vulcanologist Muhindo Syavulisembo said in a statement.

Syavulisembo, who heads the Goma Vulcanology Observatory (OVG), however ruled out an imminent new eruption.

“There hasn’t been visible damage, but we fear respiratory and water-borne illnesses,” Samson Buunda, a local civil society representative, told AFP.

ALSO READ:   Do not assist or sell weapons to Nigeria — Kanu writes to US

The eruption of Africa’s most active volcano displaced nearly 400,000 people, especially after May 27 when scientists warned of a potentially catastrophic blast underneath nearby Lake Kivu.

Continue Reading

World News

UK, US delegates and others arrive in Nigeria to witness Kanu’s trial

Published

on

Kanu and lawyers, 2017.

Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria has seen an influx of delegates representing the UK, US and others to attend the trial of Nnamdi Kanu, a rights activist and leader of Biafran pro-independence group , the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Kanu, whose trial is scheduled to resume Monday, July 26, 2021, faces charges of treason and other unfounded crimes for calling for a referendum on an independent state of Biafra in the east of the country.

He was seized in Kenya and illegally repatriated to Nigeria after fleeing to Israel in 2017 when his home was raided by soldiers who killed scores of civilians in an attempt to assassinate him.

ALSO READ:   Macron threatens French troops withdrawal from Mali

“We see here the presence of some well-known journalists from European countries. Some British and American delegates have also arrived,” said a source at a notable hotel in Abuja.

Ifeanyi Ejiofor, lawyer for the separatist leader, who confirmed the presence of journalists and members of the international community, called for calm between members of the separatist group and the country’s security agents who will be in court for the trial.

“I further wish to urge restraint and civility in all quarters tomorrow. It is your constitutional rights to be in court to witness Court’s proceedings but your engagement, dressing and conducts should be civil,” Ejiofor said in a statement on Sunday.

ALSO READ:   Prehistoric cemetery in Sudan shows war has been hell forever

“The World is here already and they will be watching. All notable World class media houses are here already.

“I also wish to remind the security agents that the Court’s environment is a public place, accessible to everybody, and not a battleground, they should be civil in their engagement, as no violence is envisaged and none will happen. What we Demand for is justice and fair hearing,” he said.

Continue Reading

World News

Teen missing since 2020 after soldiers raided synagogue in Nigeria

Published

on

The missing teen, Emmanuel John. “It was on Shabbat, Saturday, that the incident happened. My children were there in the synagogue when the soldiers arrived. They killed people and shot others including my two other little children who are 7 and 9 years old,” Mrs. Nkechi John, mother of the missing teenager told Gazette Africa.

The whereabouts of Emmanuel John, a teenager, has remained unknown since October 2020, when Nigerian soldiers raided a synagogue in Obigbo, an Igbo residence in Rivers State, where they killed at least seven worshipers and arrested others.

Emmanuel’s two younger siblings were also shot in the incident that left the synagogue razed by soldiers who accused the worshipers of having ties to the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)—a group advocating for an independent state known as Biafra in the eastern part of the country.

Emmanuel’s two siblings shot during the military raid

The incident occurred in October 2020 during which a protest against police brutality turned violent when security officers shot and killed protesters across the country, including Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, where they killed many civilians.

ALSO READ:   Biafra: Kanu's lawyer discloses next step after his arrest

“It was on Shabbat, Saturday, that the incident happened. My children were there in the synagogue when the soldiers arrived. They killed people and shot others including my two other little children who are 7 and 9 years old,” Mrs. Nkechi John, mother of the missing teenager told Gazette Africa.

“Favour (Emmanuel) didn’t do anything wrong. The soldiers shot him and took him in their van with other worshipers. Since that 2020 we have searched almost everywhere but we haven’t found him.

“He’s only 15, he was keeping Shabbat with others that Saturday, he didn’t do anything wrong,” Ms. John said, weeping.

A Jewish adherent, Chikwube Udo, who survived the military raid, described it as a “bloody Shabbat day”, noting that the synagogue was razed to the ground after the attack.

Synagogue razed in Obigbo, November 2020.

“It was a bloody Shabbat day. People died, others were shot and wounded while those who survived were thrown into the military van and taken away. Few others were found but Aboy (Emmanuel) is still missing,” he said.

ALSO READ:   Protesters in UK call on President Buhari to return to Nigeria and 'step down'

Since 2017, Nigerian government forces have stepped up their attacks on Igbo Jewish adherents whom they consider terrorists for supporting the demand for a referendum on an independent state known as Biafra.

Civilians are seen mistreated by soldiers in the Igbo residence in Obigbo. October 2020

At least 14 synagogues, including those destroyed in November 2020, have been razed by government forces in the east of the country.

The crackdown on Jewish worshipers in Nigeria has further led to the arrest of three Israeli filmmakers, Rudy Rochman, Noam Leibman and E. David Benaym, currently detained without charge.

Israeli filmmakers, Rudy Rochman, Noam Leibman and E. David Benaym

Meanwhile, Nnamdi Kanu, human rights activist and leader of Biafran pro-independence group, who practices Judaism, is currently being held in the Nigeria’s Department of State Services detention center in Abuja after being seized in Kenya and illegally repatriated to the country.

Nnamdi Kanu

The separatist leader who had fled to Israel in 2017 when his home was raided by soldiers who killed many civilians in an attempt to assassinate him, faces charges of treason and other unfounded crimes, for calling for a referendum on the independent state of Biafra in the east of the country.

ALSO READ:   Do not assist or sell weapons to Nigeria — Kanu writes to US
Continue Reading

MOST POPULAR

© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.