Connect with us

Report

Fulani bandits kill seven Nigerian soldiers in ambush

Published

on

Seven Nigerian soldiers have been killed in an ambush by Fulani bandits in a forest along the Mararaba Udege highway, Nasarawa state.

The seven soldiers killed by the bandits are part of the troops that embarked on the operation to rescue villagers kidnapped by the bandits.

The ambush is one of the deadly attacks carried out in January 2021 by bandits that residents said are “Fulani.”

“The names of some of the soldiers that lost their lives are Felix Kura, Yakubu Bati, who is a sergeant, Kefas Iliya, a lance corporal and four others whose identities are yet to be known,” AIT said in a report from military source.

ALSO READ:   Taxi violence erupts again in Cape Town despite signing of peace treaty

Report

Shooting between separatists, Cameroonian forces kills civilians

Published

on

A soldier was killed on Monday by separatist fighters who seized his weapons and left his body in a bush.

A civilian was killed in a shootout between separatist fighters and government forces in Mbalangi, southwest Cameroon.

Four other civilians were injured in the incident on Tuesday.

Government forces were heading to clear a roadblock when the incident occurred, said Cameroon News Agency, which added that an explosive device had been detonated in Ediki.

A faction of separatists in Cameroon had announced a two-week lockdown which it said will begin on September 15 and end on October 2, 2021.

In the Tatum Bui division, in the north-western region of the country, a soldier was killed on Monday by separatist fighters who seized his weapons and left his body in a bush.

ALSO READ:   Kanu's lawyer, Ejiofor, missing after soldiers raid his home in eastern Nigeria

The shootout between government forces and armed separatists seeking an independent state known as Ambazonia, has left scores of civilians dead and injured since the Cameroonian government headed by President Paul Biya failed in establishing a dialogue with aggrieved citizens.

Continue Reading

Report

Nigeria recaptures 108 inmates after prison outbreak

Published

on

By

Owerri prison after jailbreak 2021. On April 5, gunmen raided Owerri police headquarters, in Nigeria’s southern Imo state, freeing more than 1,800 inmates.

At least 108 out of 240 inmates who escaped from a prison in central Nigeria have been recaptured, a prison official said Tuesday.

Heavily armed gunmen stormed the Security Custodial Centre in Kabba, in Kogi State, late on Sunday, freeing scores of inmates.

It was unclear who the gunmen were but criminal gangs have terrorised central and northwest Nigeria for years.

“We have a total of 108 inmates rearrested,” Nigeria’s correctional service spokesman Francis Enobore told AFP by phone.

“But as the day progresses, the figure will definitely increase,” he added, saying “several processes have been activated to ensure all inmates are rearrested.”

ALSO READ:   Mali vice president confirms takeover after president arrested

At about 2245 GMT on Sunday, the spokesman had said earlier in a statement, numerous attackers “engaged the armed guards in a fierce gun battle.”

The gunmen invaded the prison, which had 294 prisoners in custody at the time, including 224 pre-trial detainees.

A soldier and a police officer lost their lives in the attack, Enobore later added.

Large prison outbreaks are not uncommon in Nigeria.

On April 5, gunmen raided Owerri police headquarters, in Nigeria’s southern Imo state, freeing more than 1,800 inmates.

In addition to fighting criminal gangs who also kidnap people for ransom and rustle cattle, Nigeria’s security forces are facing a violent jihadist insurgency in the northeast and separatist agitation in the southeast.

ALSO READ:   Nigeria: Two police stations razed, officer killed in Akwa-Ibom

Continue Reading

Report

Biafran separatists to shut Nigeria’s eastern region on September 14

Published

on

Youths rally in Anambra 2018, in support of the separatist leader Nnamdi Kanu.

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), a Biafran pro-independence group, has announced that the southeastern region of Nigeria will be closed on September 14, 2021, to mark what they call “saboteurs day”.

The separatist group said the “saboteurs day” is a day to remember— September 14, 2017, when government forces raided the home of its leader Nnamdi Kanu in Umuahia, where they killed at least 28 civilians in an attempted assassinate the separatist leader.

It is also a day to remember all those who betrayed their comrades and sabotaged the struggle to restore the sovereign state of Biafra, said IPOB.

ALSO READ:   Obigbo: IPOB secures release of 210 people 'abducted' by army, 53 girls raped

No official statement is made on the issue by the Federal Government of Nigeria which has almost lost control of the eastern region of the country.

Meanwhile, Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the IPOB is still detained by the Nigerian authorities who had illegally repatriated him in July 2021 to Nigeria after his arrest in Kenya.

Continue Reading

MOST POPULAR

© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.