Connect with us


Catholic Bishops in Ghana decry military brutality



the military reportedly attacked tricycle operators in Wa town.

Catholic Bishops in Ghana have condemned the alleged use of excessive force by the country’s military on some residents of Wa town in Upper West Region within the Catholic Diocese of Wa.

In their Friday, July 2 statement, members of the Ghana Catholic Bishops’ Conference (GCBC) call for an independent probe into the alleged assaults by members of the West African country’s military.

On Thursday, July 1, the military reportedly attacked tricycle operators in Wa town, an action that is said to have been triggered by the theft of a mobile phone belonging to one of the public service operators.

At least fourteen people, two among them in critical condition, are seeking treatment at the Wa Municipal Hospital following the July 1 attack, according to a local media report.

In their statement, the Catholic Bishops say they are “horrified to see videos of brutalities and inhumane treatments meted out to innocent citizens in the Upper West Regional Capital, Wa, by a group of military men.”

They express their sympathy with “the victims and pray for healing for those undergoing treatment at the hospital.”

ALSO READ:   Ghana's president re-elected chairman of ECOWAS

Following the alleged brutalities, Ghana’s Military High Command has promised to conduct investigations into the “unprofessional conduct” of the soldiers who reportedly attacked residents of Wa city.

On July 3, Ghana’s Chief of Army Staff, Major General Thomas Oppong, led a delegation of other officers to the Traditional Council of Wa to offer an apology for the alleged actions by the military.

The Major General also assured the people of Wa that the perpetrators of the attack will be brought to book.

In the July 2 statement obtained by ACI Africa, GCBC members commend the Military High Command for the assurance that those found guilty will be appropriately sanctioned.

“We, however, call for an independent investigation based on previous events that are still fresh in the minds of all Ghanaians where investigations into similar incidents… yielded nothing,” the Catholic Bishops in Ghana say in the statement signed by GCBC President, Archbishop Philip Naameh.

ALSO READ:   LGBTQ activists in Ghana launch campaign after crackdown

The Catholic Bishops further say that Ghanaian citizens “are gradually losing trust in the ability of our security agencies to handle cases involving one of their own effectively and competently to the satisfaction of all.”

For this reason, GCBC members call on the government, “especially the President, to show true leadership by sanctioning all whose actions and inactions have resulted in the unfortunate happenings in recent times.”

“It is our hope and prayer that this investigation and all other investigations will be done speedily and devoid of politics for the good of our country,” the Catholic Bishops say, adding that Ghanaians “cannot continue to live in fear as a people due to the unprofessional behavior of some miscreants belonging to our security forces.”

They demand that the laws of the West African nation “be made to work” saying, “It is not enough to say that we will do better.”

The July 2 statement comes barely 72 hours after the GCBC members condemned the murder of a social media activist following a mob attack and the killing of two demonstrators who were reportedly shot by security officers during protests in Ejura town, Ashanti Region in the Catholic Diocese of Konongo-Mampong.

ALSO READ:   Security personnel beat journalists covering rights abuse petition in Uganda

Ibrahim Mohammed, popularly known as Kaaka, succumbed to injuries inflicted by the mob while receiving treatment at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital on June 28.

Residents of Ejura gathered to protest Kaaka’s death on June 28. Police officers who sought to stop the demonstrations allegedly shot dead two protesters while four others were reported to be nursing injuries.

In their June 30 statement, GCBC members said the police officers’ actions were “not only condemnable but criminal and must be investigated and the perpetrators duly punished.”

The Catholic Bishops in Ghana added that the probe into murder incidents “must be done with the urgency it deserves because citizens are gradually losing trust in the ability of our security agencies to handle such cases effectively and completely.”


Police arraign 48 ‘Yoruba Nation’ separatists in Nigeria




The prosecutor said that the defendants gathered for a protest that was not permitted to hold and began to disturb the peace of the neighborhood.

A total of 48 persons, including two women, on Monday appeared before a Yaba Chief Magistrate’s Court in Lagos for alleged unlawful protest and killing of a woman.

The defendants, who allegedly committed the offences at 10:09 a.m. on July 3, at Ojota area of Lagos, are jointly facing a three-count charge of conspiracy, unlawful assembly and breach of peace to which they pleaded not guilty.

One of the defendants, Tajudeen Bakare, is facing two extra counts of murder and unlawful possession of arms.

Police Prosecutor, Adejoke Adebesin, told the court that Mr Bakare, during the protest shot a passerby, Jumoke Oyeleke, with a Barretta pistol which was recovered from his possession.

ALSO READ:   Senegal opposition group drops protest call

He further stated that the defendant drove a Jeep with Registration No. LSR 322 FK, and killed the deceased from the window of the car.

The offences contravened Sections 411, 168(d), 223, 330, 44 (1)(2)(3)(4) of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2015. (Revised)

Section 330 stipulates seven years imprisonment for the offence of unlawful possession of arms while 223 stipulates the death penalty for the offence of murder.

The prosecutor said that the defendants gathered for a protest that was not permitted to hold and began to disturb the peace of the neighborhood.

Chief Magistrate Adeola Adedayo admitted the 47 defendants to N300,000 bail each with two sureties in like sum and remanded Bakare, who is facing mucder charge, to a correctional center while awaiting legal advice from Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP).

ALSO READ:   216 children rescued from human traffickers In Nigeria and Benin

She directed that both sureties must be residing within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with evidence of three years of tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

She added that one of the sureties must be either a cultural, religious, or traditional leader in the court’s jurisdiction and both sureties must submit copies of their National Identification Number (NIN) to the court.

She adjourned the case until August 16 for mention/ review of remand.

Continue Reading


Jihadists issue threat as Somalia elections loom




The Al-Qaeda-linked group has been fighting to overthrow the federal government since 2007 and frequently attacks government, security and civilian targets.

Somalia’s Al-Shabaab jihadists have warned politicians against taking part in elections due to kick off this month after months of deadlock and delays.

The threat, in an audio message purportedly recorded by Al-Shabaab leader Ahmed Umar Abu Ubaidah, underscores the security challenges facing the election process in the deeply unstable Horn of Africa country.

Indirect parliamentary and presidential polls are due to open on July 25 with four days of voting for the upper house by state delegates.

“We are sending… a warning to the (voting) delegations,” Ubaidah said in a rare message issued Monday to mark the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha that was circulated on pro-Shabaab websites.

“Don’t get fooled by the empty promises… including the provision of money, and the promise that the voting will be secret.

ALSO READ:   Ghana's president re-elected chairman of ECOWAS

“Learn from those before you,” he said, in an apparent reference to traditional elders who took part in the last elections in 2016, some of whom were targeted and assassinated by Al-Shabaab fighters in the ensuing years.

Ubaidah’s whereabouts are not known, and it was not clear when the message was recorded. AFP could not independently confirm the identity of the voice.

The Al-Qaeda-linked group has been fighting to overthrow the federal government since 2007 and frequently attacks government, security and civilian targets.

Somalia’s political leaders finally agreed last month on a voting timetable after months of stalemate that turned violent at times.

ALSO READ:   African Union calls for ceasefire and dialogue In Libya

President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed and the leaders of Somalia’s five states had been unable to agree on the terms of a vote before his term lapsed in February, triggering an unprecedented constitutional crisis.

The political impasse exploded into violence in April when negotiations collapsed and the lower house extended the president’s mandate by two years, sparking gun battles on the streets of Mogadishu.

Under pressure the president, commonly known as Farmajo, reversed the extension and ordered his prime minister to reconvene with the state leaders to chart a fresh roadmap towards elections.

The ballots follow a complex indirect model whereby special delegates chosen by the country’s myriad clan elders pick lawmakers, who in turn choose the president.

Successive leaders have promised a direct vote but political infighting, logistical problems and the Al-Shabaab insurgency has prevented such an exercise.

ALSO READ:   Uganda high court orders end to Bobi Wine house arrest

The upper house vote will be followed by elections for the lower house from September 12-October 2, according to an updated timetable issued last week.

According to a statement issued in June, both assemblies were due to convene to vote for the president on October 10, but no date for this election was given in the updated timeline.

Somalia has not held a direct one-person, one-vote election since 1969, the year dictator Siad Barre led a coup and went on to rule for two decades.

Barre’s military regime collapsed in 1991 and Somalia sank into anarchy.

Continue Reading


Ethiopia’s Tigray war spills into neighbouring regions




Rebels in Ethiopia’s war-hit Tigray have carried out operations against pro-government troops in neighbouring Afar region, a spokesman said Sunday, opening a new front in the widening eight-month conflict.

The “very limited action” targeted special forces and militia fighters from Oromia region, Ethiopia’s largest, who were massing along the Tigray-Afar border, the rebel spokesman, Getachew Reda, told AFP.

“We took those actions to ensure those forces are sent back to Oromia, and we have managed to do that,” Getachew said, adding that there were some casualties but he could not provide figures.

“Our action was very limited to dispersing the peasant militia from Oromia that was mostly press-ganged into fighting the useless war.”

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed sent troops into Tigray last November to detain and disarm leaders of the region’s then-ruling party, the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF).

ALSO READ:   Senegal opposition group drops protest call

He said the move came in response to TPLF attacks on federal army camps.

The 2019 Nobel Peace laureate declared victory in late November after government forces took the Tigray capital Mekele, but TPLF leaders remained on the run and fighting continued.

Last month the war took a stunning turn when pro-TPLF forces retook Mekele, Abiy declared a unilateral ceasefire and the army mostly pulled out of Tigray.

But after rebel leaders launched a new offensive intended to regain control of western and southern Tigray — contested areas that have been occupied by fighters from Amhara region, which borders Tigray to the south — Abiy vowed to “repel” them.

ALSO READ:   Nigeria: Parents In Katsina Beg For Release Of Kidnapped Students

The government has since mobilised forces from regions that had previously been untouched by the conflict, including Oromia.

A spokesman for Afar region did not respond to requests for comment Sunday.

– ‘Ethiopia’s cancer’ –

A state media report published Saturday night accused the TPLF, which the government deems a terrorist organisation, of blocking aid into Tigray via Afar using “heavy shelling” and “heavy artillery.”

“Rejecting the ceasefire by the federal government, TPLF is trying hard to expand the conflict into Afar region,” the Ethiopian News Agency report said.

Getachew denied any aid delivery had been disrupted.

“Where the fighting happened, there is no major highway that is being used for aid purposes,” he said.

Getachew confirmed Sunday that rebel units were also active in northern Amhara region, where last week AFP journalists saw thousands of militia fighters mobilising in border towns in advance of planned anti-TPLF operations.

ALSO READ:   Ghana prepares to bury ex-leader Rawlings as parties vie over legacy

“We have also conducted successful operations in Wag Hemra, which is in Amhara region, and even as we speak some units are operating in between Mai Tsebri (in western Tigray) and adjoining Amhara territory,” he said.

In a statement posted on Twitter Sunday, Abiy referred to the TPLF “junta” as “Ethiopia’s cancer”.

“As the saying goes, a Satan which stays long cannot be removed immediately,” he said.

“It is inevitable that it rests in one way or another. But surely, the junta will be removed so that it will not grow again.”

Continue Reading


© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.