Connect with us

Breaking News

BREAKING: Stabbing attempt on Mali interim president

Published

on

The attack took place during prayers for the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha.

Two armed men, including one who wielded a knife, attacked Mali’s interim president Assimi Goita on Tuesday in the great mosque in the capital Bamako, an AFP journalist saw.

The attack took place during prayers for the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha.

Goita has since been taken from the scene, according to the journalist, who said it was not immediately clear whether he had been wounded.

Religious Affairs Minister Mamadou Kone told AFP that a man had “tried to kill the president with a knife” but was apprehended.

Latus Toure, the director of the Great Mosque, said an attacker had lunged for the president but wounded someone else.

ALSO READ:   Ten Somali government forces die in explosion

AFP was not immediately able to confirm the accounts.

Mali has been struggling to contain an jihadist insurgency that first emerged in the north of the country in 2012, and has since spread to Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger.

Thousands of soldiers and civilians have been killed and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.

The conflict has also been mirrored by political instability in the capital.

Colonel Goita led a coup last August, ousting elected president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita after weeks of mass protests over corruption and the long-running jihadist conflict.

In May, he ousted a transitional government that had been entrusted with the task of leading the country back to civilian rule in February 2022.

ALSO READ:   Attacks kill 200, displace 40,000 in DR Congo this year

He was then named transitional president, but has pledged to keep to the goal for returning to civilian government.

Breaking News

Judge adjourns Kanu’s trial as DSS refuses to bring him to court

Published

on

Nnamdi Kanu, rights activist and Biafran pro-independence leader

ABUJA — Binta Nyako, the judge presiding over the trial of Biafran pro-independence leader, Nnamdi Kanu, has adjourned the trial until October 21, 2021.

The judge said the adjournment was due to the refusal of Nigeria’s secret security, Department of State Services (DSS), to bring the separatist leader to court.

Meanwhile, Some lawyers who arrived at the Federal High Court in Abuja for the trial were barred from entering the court.

DSS which denied them entry into court, has disclosed no reason for the undemocratic action, prompting many to ask if the separatist leader will be tried secretly.

ALSO READ:   Death toll From Chemical Plant Explosion In China Rise to 78

Kanu, whose trial was scheduled to resume today Monday, July 26, 2021, faces charges of treason and other unfounded crimes for calling for a referendum on an independent state of Biafra in the east of the country.

He was seized in Kenya and illegally repatriated to Nigeria after fleeing to Israel in 2017 when his home was raided by soldiers who killed scores of civilians in an attempt to assassinate him.

Many of his supporters, including two foreign journalists, were arrested on Monday at the court premises after international media and numerous media organizations in the country were prevented from covering the trial.

ALSO READ:   Gunmen kidnap 140 school students in northwest Nigeria

In south-eastern Nigeria, residents closed markets and some entry points into towns to show solidarity with the detained activist.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Nigeria bans international media, others from covering Kanu’s trial

Published

on

No reason was given by authorities who refused to comment on the sudden violation of press freedom and citizens' rights to monitor a trial.

ABUJA — Nigeria’s Department of State Services has banned international and other media from covering the trial of Biafran pro-independence leader, Nnamdi Kanu, in court.

A statement signed by Chief Information Officer, Catherine Oby Christopher noted that the DSS has only accredited 10 Nigerian media organizations, namely: ThisDay, Premium Times, The Nation, Daily Independent, The Herald, National Television Authority , Continental Television, African Independent Television, Daily Post and Channels Television.

No reason was given by authorities who refused to comment on the sudden violation of press freedom and citizens’ rights to monitor a trial.

Nnamdi Kanu, human rights activist is currently being held in the Nigeria’s Department of State Services detention center in Abuja after being seized in Kenya and illegally repatriated to the country.

ALSO READ:   Ten Somali government forces die in explosion

The separatist leader who had fled to Israel in 2017 when his home was raided by soldiers who killed many civilians in an attempt to assassinate him, faces charges of treason and other unfounded crimes, for calling for a referendum on the independent state of Biafra in the east of the country.

Many anxiously await his trial to resume in court Today July 26, 2021.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Policeman shoots student for not wearing mask in DR Congo

Published

on

By

Security forces standby in Kinshasa during demonstrations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) on 19 and 20 December 2016.

A Democratic Republic of Congo policeman has shot a student who was not wearing a mask while filming on the streets of the capital, witnesses said on Sunday.

“Our friend Honore Shama, a student in the faculty of arts at the University of Kinshasa, was filming a video as part of his acting practical work requirement,” Patient Odia, a friend who was present at the confrontation, told AFP.

“A policeman told him to wear a mask during the filming.”

“Despite his (Shama’s) explanations and after having showed him a mask, the policeman, who was expecting to be offered money, became infuriated, accused him of resisting and shot him at point-blank range.”

ALSO READ:   Ten Somali government forces die in explosion

Other witnesses told a similar story to the popular Top Congo radio as well as several online news sites.

The policeman responsible has fled and the city’s police are searching for him, the head of Kinshasa police, General Sylvano Kasongo, told AFP.

“Police have detained two police officers, present during the incident provoked by their irresponsible colleague… as well as the head” of a local police station, he said.

“The search continues to find the fugitive policeman,” Kasongo said.

Wearing a mask is obligatory in DR Congo, with transgressors fined 10,000 Congolese frances (five dollars, four euros).

In Kinshasa, police are regularly accused of harassment and of pocketing the mask fines they collect.

ALSO READ:   Attacks kill 200, displace 40,000 in DR Congo this year

DR Congo has registered 47,786 Covid-19 cases and 1,021 deaths since the start of the pandemic.

Vaccinations have been halted in the country since July 10, because the AstraZeneca vaccines in stock passed their expiration date.

Continue Reading

MOST POPULAR

© 2021 GAZETTE AFRICA | Africa's #1 indigenous independent media, providing unbiased reporting and analysis on Africa and the world.